Wednesday, September 10, 2008

At Last

Sleep finally fell on my little ones tonight. A chamber ensemble of soft music, a humidifier and a white noise machine overcame their wiggles. I tucked them under quilts crafted by their great-grandmothers, in beds handed down from family. They're snuggled into soft pajamas printed with teddy bears, tools and frogs; my kisses linger on their foreheads, my prayers over their heads.

One has dimples in every place possible. The other has golden curls that sneak up the back of his head after a bath. Both flash twinkling eyes, gleeful grins, and abundant hugs. They're surrounded by a menagerie of stuffed animals and a contingent of guardian angels.

I love my sons. The Lord knows how they hold my heart in their chubby-grubby little hands.

I'm also very thankful--very relieved--that they are finally, both, completely, asleep.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Beautiful post, so nicely said. Loving your blog Amanda!