Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Eight Years

Yesterday, August 11, was the eight-year anniversary of my graduation from college. I have been out of school for twice as long as I was in. I could have earned 2 more bachelors' degrees by now. Or four Master's degrees. Or a Master's degree and a PhD. But why in the world would I want to do that?

Instead of being at a University for the last 8 years, I've been going to the school of Life. I earned an M.R.S. and two M.A.M.A. degrees. Highly honored and hard-earned titles, those are. There are a lot of things you don't learn in school--balancing a checkbook, for instance--that make for a richer life.

But oh, at times, I do miss sitting at a coffee house and discussing the meaning of life. Well, come to the think of it, I still do that. Now I just do it over screaming kids at playdates.

I'm deeply thankful for the opportunity to have received a formal education. Would that all women--all people--were afforded the same.

No comments: