Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I didn't know what I thought I knew

SuperKid had a few sniffles before we flew to TX for Christmas. It escalated into full-blown coughing fits indicative of asthma. Well, after 6 weeks or so of aggressive asthma treatment with little noticeable improvement, we showed up on the allergist's doorstep.

One itchy back and uncomfortable nasal swab later, we find out that he does not have allergies to any inhalants OR MILK. That's right, no allergies to animal, vegetable or mineral common to us. That means either a) God has healed him of previous allergies, or b) the initial tests 2 years ago yielded false positives, which they are prone to do. I'll take c) all of the above.

The doctor did find a sinus infection. "Raging," was the word he used to describe it. He explained that often the only symptom of a sinus infection is coughing. "We have to make sure we're barking up the right tree," he noted. Indeed.

My first thought was, "Are you kidding me?" Two years of doing everything we could to help the poor kid, spending who knows how much time and money, and it was a chronic sinus infection? Seriously?

My second thought was, "Thank God." This means the rest of his childhood will be spent playing tag, jumping on the neighbor's trampoline, casting spider-webs and hitting baseballs--all without coughing breaks.

As we got in the car, I explained to him that the doctor said he could have cow milk now.
"I can?" he replied with surprise.
"Yeah," I said. "You don't have allergies."
"I don't?"
"No. You can have anything with cow milk in it now. Like cheese, and yogurt, and ice cream."
"Ice cream?!"
"Yeah."
He frowned.
"But I like goat cheese."
"Well, you can still have that too."
It was quiet for a minute.
"Can I have oranges and orange juice?"
"Yup."
"Yaaayy!" As he erupted into clapping, so did WonderBoy. He likes to celebrate, even if he doesn't understand why. I like that attitude.

Of course, we still need to sort out the whole sinus infection thing. Which I am confident we will. But for now, I am going to rejoice in the good news, thank God in advance for total healing of this infection, and put away the Zyrtec, Singulair, Pulmicort, Albuterol, Delsym, Athsma Rescue, and nebulizer. It's time to break out the football and do an end-zone dance in the back yard.

3 comments:

Ariana said...

Yay! Great news! Next time you visit we can have REAL pizza. :)

Carey said...

I'm so happy that you have an answer! Coming from one who had a childhood full of allergies/asthma, thank you Lord for healing! Next time you're in TX, we're breaking out the Blue Bell. :) Miss you!

Carmenona said...

I am so happy for you all. He is going to have so much fun now that the cough won't hold him back. Pee Wee Football here he comes.