Sunday, June 14, 2009

Eighteen Months

This post is proving more difficult to write than I had anticipated. How do I encapsulate my thoughts and feelings toward my little boy, who celebrated his 18-month birthday today? I've searched through my pictures for the one that captures all his spunk, animation and wonder. It doesn't exist.
Truth be told, this boy doesn't fit inside a camera, or words. He won't often be held still--in arms, chairs, pixels or otherwise. He. Is. Busy.

He battles big brother and says "Argh!"He teaches me that laundry baskets aren't really for laundry.


He snuggles with his brother and watches cartoons. He loves to dance along, too.
He plays with dirt, dump trucks, sticks and rocks. Always rocks. He screams and writhes during diaper changes and dressing, and is fascinated with the potty. He can use it, and he's proud of that. He has two new molars for a total of 10 teeth. He loves to chew on his tooth brush.

He still likes to nurse, most often to soothe his nerves and feel secure. We don't dare leave the house without his Lovey, a satin and fleece security blanket. It's only half of the comfort equation though, his thumb is the other. Thankfully, he usually sleeps through the night.

He loves to play peek-a-boo, hide-and-seek, tickle monster, and chase. But the ultimate, supreme, most magnificent game is wrestling Daddy.He likes having friends over to play.At the end of the day, he knows a good spot when he finds it.

A year and a half ago, at about this time of night, I was alone in a hospital room with him, my newborn son. I remember so clearly how in the quiet, the fog of all the days events suddenly lifted, and I simply looked at him for a long time. I fell in love.

Even though he is testing our boundaries with vigor, and getting everything in the house under 2 feet sticky, dirty, and worn, and pestering his brother, I'm still in love. Even when he screams in the grocery store and throws his food on the ground and eats mud, I'm still in love. He is an indescribably precious gift from God, a source of great joy, and forever, my son.

Happy 18-month Birthday, Wonder Boy!

1 comment:

Ariana said...

What a wonder he is! Great post! He is a great celebration of all things boy. :)